09 June 2010

The Prize

RogersBlogGroup now has 44 entries, and I have not yet even entered my own (coming Thursday morning!).

I should have thought of this before, but the winner of the competition who must also exceed the two naive metrics of skill that I have introduced, wins a signed copy of . . . . The Climate Fix (to be delivered when published). You can enter as many times as you'd like, I don't mind. I will sign the book with full recognition of your accomplishment as the first quadrennial winner of my Blog World Cup competition ;-) If I win, which I handicap at no better than 1/45 at present, then I will demand some sort of appropriate recognition.

9 comments:

kmye said...

Aw, now I'm regretting picking North Korea to win... :D

Roger Pielke, Jr. said...

I will admit to almost buying a North Korea jersey yesterday. Just for the novelty.

But economics trumped novelty and I settled for a St. Pauli hat instead (St. Pauli gegen rechts!;-)

Werner Krauss said...

Oh, a book! I consider participating...

Soccer & intellectuals - watch this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5fGSBsfq8

eric144 said...

Thanks for the invitation, but my knowledge of current international football is well below naive level. I would say that the 'omens' are that England are once again heading for a fall.

Roger Pielke, Jr. said...

-4-eric144

Its OK, knowledge is unnecessary ;-)

eric144 said...

I decided to join in. Now I am totally convinced I am going to win. The ego !!

ljohnson said...

Trying as hard as I could, I could not get Nigeria past the semi, and even that requires them to fill the German team full of beer the night before.

Vinny Burgoo said...

So Pielke Heart sees England not getting beyond the group stages and Pielke Head sees them winning the group.

Hmmm. Is Pielke a Celtic name?

For the record (mine as much as anyone's: I've just accidentally deleted the spreadsheets), my prediction Tomato Production 2008 obeyed a 'quant' model that took current FIFA ranking points and subtracted one third of the square root of the FAO's estimate of 2008 tomato production in metric tonnes. Don't try this at home.

Reiner Grundmann said...

Here is a mathematical proof that Germany will win it.
http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-1067412.html
Unfortunately only in German but you will see the formula.
This is from a soccer crazy physics professor who also has some advice for penalty shootouts:
if this happens, change the boots of the shooters to a special penalty type shoe. This little ritual will intimidate the opponents!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.